Friday, December 14, 2007

Faith and a Flick

When it comes to drama, I have heard that every story borrows from The Story. And, after thinking about it, I have come to agree with Donald Miller and Mike Metzger that even the form that drama takes borrows from God's redemption epic that is being played out in HD right in front of us.

What I mean is, that the progression of Introduction/Exposition - Conflict - Rising Action - Climax - Resolution is expected every time we watch an episode of "Life" or sit down in a cinema. Why is that? Is there something written down in our code that makes us long to see glimpses of our own story reflected back at us from the screen? I think so. There is something reassuring about knowing where you are in a film. And there is something right and holy about knowing your own part in the moving picture that is human existence.

That fact is amplified when you see a redemptive film that paints a picture of salvation through faith. I am Legend is such a film. It isn't perfect. But, it is redemptive. See it.

7 comments:

Kelsey said...

It looks so good. I want to see it!

Kelsey said...

Thank you for all you do!

Have a safe trip! I'll miss you guys!

Chad said...

I saw this movie this weekend and I agree that the redemptive analogy is present. Smith's character as an on-task, non-nerdy scientist doesn't leave much to dislike. He persists in fighting for a cause that is bigger than his personal happiness all while battling the bleakest of circumstances (conflict). There are a few things that could have been tied up better in the movie, but maybe the novel, which I understand to be longer and bleaker, elaborates on these things. The movie is worth seeing for three things 1. Will Smith's presence (great acting) 2. the depiction of a post apocalyptic New York 3. the redemptive analogy. On another note, the film reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds because there is an attacking outside presence that causes the characters to retreat inside to the safest of places - a basement - only to find that there is no safe place.

Kelsey said...

While munching away on some cereal this morning, all I could think about was "poop in my cherios"

Jessica said...

thats very true about naturally expecting a sequential order of things.

even when a movie or a book, leaves you hanging.. you spend some amount of time dreaming up and ending..

i shall have to see this I Am Legend.

Kelsey said...

I saw this movie last night. I really liked it. But it was a little scarier when you're the only one in the movie theater.

Jessica said...

goodness. i saw I Am Legend at the Boeing IMAX theatre in Seattle on Friday. i have never been so encaptured by a film.

i really noticed how Robert came to a point of absolute brokenness. i literally just wanted to jump into the screen to hug him. the portrayal of despair was right on. it made me think of how Job must have felt after he lost pretty much everything.

overall, very good & it left me with my head spinning.