Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Fundamental Flaw

Why, when I have taken time to reason and think through an issue... and I have come to a thoughtful conclusion, do I assume that all those who disagree with me haven't done the same thing? Why do I attribute their obvious fallacy to lazy thinking or ignorance? It is easy to dismiss ideas that I don't agree with by caricaturing the one who posits them.

I see this as a fundamental flaw of the kinds of exchanges that I often read on blogspot. Instead of reading posts as if I am reading them for the first time, I place the blogger into a category that I have in my brain after reading the first couple of sentences. This knee-jerk reaction causes me to argue against what I imagine their position to be... because, "I know them better than they know their deluded, pseudo-intelligent selves."

I often read others doing the same thing. Using phrases like, "I imagine you are sitting there thinking..." Well, let's stop imagining what people are sitting there thinking. Let's start reading their words and responding. Or, if it helps, imagine them with a sweet smile on their face. Blogspot, email, im, texting: all are ripe for misunderstanding. Let's not add our arrogance to the mix.

7 comments:

Robert Conn said...

I agree... We (I) should do more of that.


But does context play a role anywhere? How do we do that without ignoring what has been stated? Not saying it can't be done but what's the best route to take?

Robert Conn said...

Let me clarify.

Not ignore the negative things said necessarily, but it seems like you wouldn't always want to forget what arguments have been made for/against an issue. Does that make any sense?

Lance said...

When negative context is present, we can't help but respond to it. To ignore it would be dishonest.

I am only speaking to the desire (in myself) to wrap flesh around what I perceive to be a weak argument and then knock it (and him/her) down. This idea that I can read a post and then understand everything about that person... is arrogant.

I.E. anyone who thinks that you are a "fall in line", "defend the status quo", youth pastor would be off base. You are (I humbly put forth) a Contrarian.

So, don't forget the argument... just drop the personification of it.

Lance said...

BTW... I thought you did just that in the marathon argument on your blog.

Robert Conn said...

Gotcha...

Personally, I've always struggled with where that "Back off / Defend this to the death" line is at. Sadly, I'm afraid too often, I don't see it until I'm way past it.

Kelsey said...

Good post. I imagine you smiling there as you wrote this. Good thinking. :)

Jason Fullen said...

I want to give 13 points to Lance for use of the word "posits" in this post.

out.