Tuesday, October 16, 2007

SBC Clarification

What I tried to blog:
People are having a hard time getting over their prejudices in order to communicate.

What many read:

The SBC is a bunch of losers.

First, I grew up in the SBC. I am just residing at a non-denominational church right now. It is true that my affiliation with SBC does mean less and less to me... but, (and this is important) Southern Baptists moved the ball down the field quite a way when it comes to evangelism.

Second, I see much in the style of emergent churches that I admire. Honestly, I don't see much in their theology that is unique. It has been around for hundreds of years. Most of what we see in Christian thought today is a retread of ideas posited by others before us. While that does not amount to a dismissal of their ideas, it does shed light on my cynical attitude to those who suddenly "get it" while all the other slow Christians get a knowing glance and a "God bless their little hearts" from the tattooed, candle lighting, new kind of Christian.

You know, I don't think this really cleared anything up at all. But, I'm going to post it anyway.

7 comments:

Robert Conn said...

# of churches Robert has been a member of... 5

# of churches that Robert joined simply because they were SBC... 0

In fact when we joined in Tulsa, I asked two weeks later, "Oh, by the way... what denomination are we?"

I joined a church without knowing what denomination it was... How emergent of me!

Lance said...

That confirms what I always thought of you... ubercool.

Mrs. Finn said...

I didn't get that "SBC are losers" from what you were saying. Where I am geographically, that's simply what comes to mind when talking about a group being too caught up in their own rules to actually listen and try to understand what others are thinking. There are always plenty of exceptions.

Lance said...

I'm glad you didn't... it's just that I kinda did when I reread it.

Move to Maryland... free thinkers up here... and there are some believers too!

mimi said...

I didn't get that, either. What I long for and I think it is present in these converssations is common belief in Jesus and common respect for practice.

Yesterday I sat in on one of Bert's seminary classes (because he is in Kenya and I am living part of his life while he is gone). I heard two words that I think Christians need to understand--orthodoxy and orthopraxy--this may be misspelled. Move away from orthodoxy we move toward error. move away from orthopraxy--oh well. Bert told me this morning that he danced in the church in Kenya on Sunday morning!!

Bobby said...

I know that I am only a vague passerby that only visits this blog because I am trying to live my life through Robert Conn, but I have a few thoughts.
First, the snare of getting caught up in the "my way" movement was around before the church and has never gone away. It's a common pit that most people who practice any religion will fall into at some point. The big issue is whether or not they stay there, and whether or not they are hanging their hat on personal or Biblical authority.
Second, regarding separating orthodoxy and orthopraxy. I don't believe you can. The right practice that is set out in Scripture is a natural by-product of right belief. Those practices discussed in Scripture are right because God says they are right. However, the current discussion falls mostly outside the bounds of orthopraxy and into the categroy of ministry philosophy.
Lastly, thanks for letting me intrude.

Lance said...

Bobby

Thanks for commenting! And, I think that is what Mimi was saying... orthodoxy and orthopraxy are connected. They need each other. I would add that our practice of faith can be orthodox and not be "cookie cutter". We obviously aren't all going to practice our faith the same way.(ie. dancing in Kenya... even if we dance at LifePoint, I bet it won't look the same as the Kenyan dance)